Pages

Thursday 17 October 2013

Some moments make it all worthwhile!!!

Last week I knew we were in for a tough game. We'd been drawn in the local cup against AFC Dunstable and I know from experience they're a very good side. They've got some great little players and their coach, David, is a really top bloke. I felt our best chance would be to shoot at every single opportunity and hope to score more than they would, Kevin Keegan style.

So with this in mind I put on a shooting session with particular emphasis on shooting from range. I arrived early and set up the Samba goals, laid out the pitch and had my plan all sorted. The boys had a great time and the session went really well. At the end I asked the boys if they had enjoyed it and all but one of them said they'd loved it. One lad was quiet and when I asked him one on one if he was ok he said he'd not really liked the session. He said he didn't feel like he'd got as many chances to shoot as the others and felt his shot was too soft to shoot from a long way out. I told him that sometimes I felt like that when I'd played but I practiced and practiced until I could shoot in a variety of ways and with both feet.

The next day I went to watch my son play in his school team and while I was their the lad I'd been talking to the night before came running up to me. He was playing in another team and had just been taken off. But he was thrilled to bits when he told me he'd scored a cracker from outside the box. He'd said he didn't really think he'd score but took a chance anyway and it had "whizzed in the top corner". I was ad pleased as he was :-)

We played Dunstable, got hardly any shots off and they beat us 0-3, but it didn't matter because both sides had played some great football and we all went home happy.

Tonight we had a session on passing and running into space so I expect there'll be a lot of dribbling on Saturday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment