Pages

Thursday 3 October 2013

It can't be great all the time...

So what do you do when it all goes pear-shaped?

There are some days when things just don't go to plan. Faulty equipment, forgetting to bring things and players not turning up are the most common, but sometimes it's the ones that do turn up that can really throw a spanner in the works. It's what you do with the situation and what you learn from it that can make a difference in the future. Last night was a prime example of a session you initially just want to forget but then realise it could be an excellent opportunity...

Kids of 10 have all sorts of pressures at home and school and sometimes when they turn up to football they just aren't in the right frame of mind. They couldn't concentrate, they couldn't understand what I wanted them to do even though most of them have done it before. Some of them weren't listening when we went through the session, some just simply couldn't pick it up and some had no intention of learning anything! Whatever the reasons, we seemed to spend half the session either sat down explaining and simplifying it and then simplifying it further. In the end, with the light fading, we abandoned it altogether and played a game. I didn't want the boys going home dejected so I thought a game would be the best thing. What I should've done is explained that because of their behaviour the session was over, but I didn't and that's a lesson I've learned. Unfortunately because of the way some of them were feeling, a couple of reckless tackles went in and I had to severely reprimand a couple of boys.

I have to see this as an opportunity. At the end of the session I left the boys under no illusion as to what I expect from now on so it gives me the chance to make some changes. Hopefully some of the parents will realise what's expected of them too! I wonder what their attitudes will be like when they turn up for our match on Saturday?

No comments:

Post a Comment